On arrival or boarding any type of ship; either as a crew member, passenger, a cabin (a living room) will be provided for you and inside it are equipped with furnitures, electronics, means of commutation, etc.
The cabin will serve as a personal home throughout your stay onboard the vessel. Depending on the ship cabin plans and arrangement, some cabins might have only one person occupancy or between 2 – 4 persons in one.
- Ali Osman departure from port chalkisAli Osman departure from port chalkis Chalkis is a small Island located in Euboea, Greece …. for more history of the city, you can check Wikipedia It was nice visiting this port. Last Updated on June 17, 2020Recommended post:10 …
- MV CLIPPER TERMINUS – discharging grain with shore gearMV CLIPPER TERMINUS – discharging grain with shore gear MV CLIPPER TERMINUS discharging grain today with shore gear at port of morehead city Last Updated on June 17, 2020Recommended post:10 Important Things To Check During Electro…Ship crew recruitment: 4 important …
- Video: 3rd officer onboard daily routine.The third officer onboard has a major role to play. He is a licensed member of the deck departments of a merchant’s vessel. As a matter of fact, the 3rd mate is a qualified 3rd class certificate of competency ( …
- Seasickness and it remediesSeasickness ( AKA motion sickness ) is one of the things that discourage most cadets or first-time employee at sea. Also, passengers who travel through ships or air face motion sickness. These usually happen during rough weather, cold, hight feel, etc. …
- Engine and deck cadet job – joining date ASAPJob for Engine and deck cadet – joining date Asap This where to app for Engine and deck cadet job – also following our effort to help the new professionals in the maritime career, we wish to inform the deck and …
When it comes to cruise ships, only same sex crews or passengers are placed in a cabins with multiple beds, except in VIP area where ever top crew officers, passengers with family or friends can stay single or together. While in cargo ships crews area placed as per ranks; executive cabins (2 room in one) for top four officers ( capt, chief engineer, chief mate, second engineer) and single ones for crews. In case of less rooms, crews can be two in one cabin of double Bunks (beds), with few drawers (to store your luggages), and a small tiny bathroom.
Since not everyone knows how to maintain proper cleanliness or hygiene, then comes in the crew accommodation convention requirements 92 – 133 of MLC, ILO..
Who is authorised for crew cabin inspection?
Since the accommodation and it equipments are responsible duties for ship captain and chief mate, they are authorised to inspect the ship accommodation, all areas on main deck and make sure that all repairs are done to avoid port state control detention during port calls.
The captain of the ship is mandated to inspect ship living areas and deck at least once a week, this job can also be shifted to the chief officer who will represent captain during this process.
Crew Accommodation inspection checklist
There are several areas onboard ship to be inspected, but on this article, we are to list at least 27 Important areas to focus during the routine crew accommodation inspection:
- Each cabin portholes to be checked for proper sealing, rusty metal and glasses in good condition. This will avoid water ingress during raining, rough weather, and dusty cargo entering the crew cabin.
- Electrical sockets and lightenings most be checked. Sockets may sometimes got burnt due to high load applied to it or aged, also goes to lights not working properly.
- Furniture to be checked for replacement or insufficient for crew comfort and convenience.
- Lose tables and chairs should be checked and fix properly, since the ship is always rowing, to avoid accident during tough weather.
- Cleanliness of the floor and bulkheads to be checked, making sure dusty or bad smelling from cabin removed.
- Clothing store in lockers, lifejacket and immersion suit stored in the marked or label locker.
- Bathroom to be carefully check for proper cleaning and drainage line flowing properly, hot and cold water available.
- Toilet and flushing mechanism in working condition, clean, etc.
- Illegal object and drugs no available in crew living room. All medications to be kept at the hospital or designed place.
- Ventilation system heating and air-conditioning flows through properly
- Beds or bunk in good condition, clean and tidy.
- Row Foods such as meat, fish, etc not kept in cabin to avoid air pollutions and recycling via air conditioning.
- Accommodation passage ways and door vents free of dirt, blockage, and obstructions.
- Laundry room properly arranged, cleaned and washing machine to be label ( for civil clothes and dirty overall). Also washing machine drain must be flowing through, to avoid water overflow from drain during discharge.
- Dryer room must be properly check, as fire outbreak always from such place.
- Smoking room must be carefully check, make sure ashtrays are available, well covered, positioned, and ventilation system in working condition.
- Empty cabins must be checked for water leakage, removing and plugs in electrical sockets, as well as switching off TV or related equipment to avoid fire incident.
- More attention should be pay to the Galley (kitchen) cleanliness, vents, hot plate working condition, and other equipments.
- Stores and offices must be checked, make sure proper arrangements are in place and things are secured.
- Weather tight doors must be check, all sealing in place and active, no rusty metal, and freely movement.
- Fire doors to be check, for self closing, sealing and limiter in working condition.
- Security doors to have proper locks and easy to lock.
- Main and emergency Lights, direction signals, and hand rails in position.
- All emergency exit ways cleared, signal in place and well visible.
- General toilets in clean condition and ready for use.
- Crew changing room cleaned and arranged.
- Check provision store room to be well arranged and clean.
By accomplishing at least all listed above, it’s possible to have a healthy and pleasant working environment, as well as safe home.
Crew cabin inspection report and why it’s important.
While taking round the ship accommodation for an inspection, it’s important to note down all defects, cabin number, location, and material required to rectify the situation. That being noted, it will help you to fill up a report form provided by your company or individual created report.
- Crankshaft speed sensor position, function and repair guideCrankshaft speed sensors, also called speed sensors, are used to measure crankshaft speed; determine the position of the crankshaft (or even the position of the engine cylinder). The rotational speed is calculated by the time period of the sensor signals, following the passage of the gear teeth. The signal of the rotational speed sensor is …
- Where to get SSO or ISPS?Are you looking for where to get SSO or ISPS? Are you looking for where to get ISPS or do your ship security officer course VI/6, VI/6-2, Or International ship and port facility security code course VI/5?, please contact us for direction on STCW recognize centers where you can get this certificates. questions on which …
- Maritime Documents & RanksSome people wish to join the maritime job, but they don’t know where to start from and what they need to start carrying on this field, on this post, I will explain some basic things you need. Basically, to become a maritime professional, you must have high school or university certificate, you can check this …
- Engine and Deck Cadet vacancyMaritime or shipping service has created a lot of job opportunities worldwide. Today, because of world crisis, the shipping companies have reduced there the way of employing crew members on-board. Only a few companies do demand for Cadet officers to work with them. Now to tell you the secret about it, “If you do not …
- 2018 Student invitationForeign Student Admission and an invitation to maritime academies in Odessa, Kherson, Kiev, etc are presently on now. will offer you a very cheap price and fast delivery to your country. Their school fee is between $1800 and $2200, accommodation is $75 per month and feed is on your own. Ukrainian cities Cost of living is lower …
By sending this report together with a requisition of materials required in fixing the defects, the manager at the head office will be carried along and make arrangements of fixing the problems as fast as possible. Sine such defects could call for ship detention in ports, no ship owner will like to have his or her ship detained with such records. This will expand the lifetime of the ship accommodation and a conducive environment.
Should a crew or passenger be present during cabin inspection?
Logically yes, for privacy and security reasons. But captain still have the right to inspect the cabin with additional officers along with him or her to avoid any allegations. It’s not confirmed if there’s any laws on that.
Do you know where it’s written about crew presence during cabin inspection? Please drop it via comment box below.
Don’t forget to subscribe and share with friends who will like to read too.
Last Updated on